First up, a photo that has nothing to do with anything. It’s just something nice to look at while I go free association about yesterday’s misadventures.
THINGS THAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY:
In the order which they occurred… I think…
- Nicky snuck a half-eaten banana into the dyer while I was unloading laundry.
- I woefully underestimated the timing for our morning routine and had to forgo a shower (but figured I’d sneak one in mid-morning #lol #no).
- Immediately after we dropped Grace off at her summer program, Nicky fell and cut the back of his head badly enough to need stitches.
- He was such a champ. I was a wreck.
- While he was getting tended to (and squirming a bit), I somehow ended up with surgical glue on my face. Apparently it will come off in 5-7 days. Can’t wait for that.
- I drank an iced coffee and cried in my car. (Hi again, caffeine.)
- We made it back from urgent care in time to pick up Grace (and I exhaled for the first time in over an hour).
- No luck on the shower. But Jesus cranked up the humidity, so… poodle hair.
- Speaking of poodles, all five of us (Grace, Nicky, Clark, his cone and myself) went to the vet.
- The vet took one look at our motley crew and called for back-up (this literally happened), as if having an additional vet tech in the room would prevent my children from attacking or eating dog treats or… something.
- Clark’s most recent bad luck (a scratched cornea) isn’t healing and will likely require surgery.
- I called Nick (for, I think, the 5th time of the day).
- I cried in my car again but this time I pretended to be fake sneezing (my kids love fake sneezing and I’ve never been above a cheap laugh).
- We bought matching sweatshirts for the family (it seemed like the right thing to do).
- I found the aforementioned banana.
- We survived.
Once both babes (and Clark) were safely tucked in bed and the house was quiet, I sat at the kitchen table for two entire hours. Just breathing. I barely noticed how dark it was until I sort of came to, wondering if I should be searching for additional bananas. If I’m being honest (which I endeavor to do, obvi), this is not the first banana/laundry incident we’ve had… this week.
Days like yesterday are memorable because they almost never happen (thankfully) and because they serve up gentle reminders of all sorts.
A reminder that we have so much (excellent healthcare, reliable transportation, a generous and kind support network, clean clothes, plenty of bananas, a Frenchie who promised to live forever, and the resources to manage all of this). A reminder that I need to take care of myself in order to best take care of others (no more staying up ’til 2 AM reading about shipwrecks #reallife). A reminder that there is power in laughter and tears and tears disguised as sneezes. A reminder that children are resilient and brave, even if their behavior is also terribly risky and awfully terrifying. A reminder that quiet time is rarely wasted time. A reminder that even (or especially) as a mother, it is important to be vulnerable and receptive to help.
I hope your yesterday treated you well. And that your today did too.
Also On Tap for Today:
- LOVE: Sam’s Summer Self-Care Bingo
- Dinner inspiration from The Kitchn: 20 Farmers Market Salads to Make Tonight
- Swooning over Oh Happy Day!’s Wimbledon party plans
What gentle reminders are you serving up (or being served)? And who wants to watch You Got Served with me?