Needless to say, the highlight of the
month year has been welcoming our baby boy.
The last two weeks have been an exhausting, but blissful blur of newborn snuggling, diaper changing, toddler chasing, and trying to remember if I took a shower or not. I feel like we’re starting to find our rhythm (which basically means nothing, because one thing I do remember from Grace’s early days is that as soon as we got comfortable, things changed — her sleeping schedule, her eating schedule, the weather, you get the point).
This may be the Universe’s way of sending a message, but the things that are totally beyond my control (and therefore, the things that I am constantly worrying about) are going beautifully. Grace is the most gentle, sweet and curious older sister. We went out for a little ride earlier this week (in nearly 60 degree weather… not normal) and she kept whispering, “Look, baby Nick, more Christmas lights.” And it made me so happy that I cried and ruined the moment.
On that note… here’s what else I’ve been up to this month.
Currently | December, 2015
- Newborn baby smell — I’d be a billionaire if I could bottle this smell.
- Grace’s excitement for all things Christmas
- Ridiculously warm weather
Currently listening to
- “Spirituality of Imagination,” last week’s episode of On Being with Krista Tippett, featuring Martin Sheen— I love this podcast. It’s smart, compelling, and thought-provoking and this episode might be one of my favorites. I loved hearing the actor talk about his return to Catholicism and his commitment to activism. I laughed, I may have cried (just kidding… I did cry… I cry about any and everything these days), I tried to convince everyone I know to listen.
- Season 2 of Serial — Nick and I have listened to the first two episodes together on Thursday nights. It’s both nice and sort of weird to sit around listening to audio in the same way we might watch television… like, what should I be looking at? This season is quite different from the first, but I’m already hooked.
- Adele’s 21 on repeat (still)
- Christmas music (obvi)
- The West Wing — I don’t know why I didn’t watch this when it was actually airing (my whole family was obsessed), but after listening to the Martin Sheen interview mentioned above, I had to give it a try. Blessed be Netflix… we have found our next streaming addiction.
- This peaceful Santa video on YouTube that my mom shared (Grace loves it)
- And this version of my favorite Christmas jam, O Holy Night, performed by Berklee students
- Grace got several books for Christmas over the weekend and two, in particular, have become instant favorites: Peggy: A Brave Chicken on a Big Adventure (we originally found this at the BPL and renewed it so many times that I think the we raised some eyebrows) and Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors.
- Domino and Real Simple… they’re like books… for people who have slept less than 2 hours per night…. Also: I feel like the RS cover is speaking directly to my unable-to-meal-plan, wardrobe-deficient soul.
- Veggies and herbs you can grow indoors during the winter months from Apartment Therapy and How to grow a winter kitchen from the Whole Foods Market Blog — because in my dreams, I am capable of keeping plants alive.
- My new BAMR bands — I am thrilled to be an ambassador for this fabulous brand. Each quarter, BAMR Bands donates 10% of their proceeds to a selected charitable organization benefitting women and children (past recipients have included Every Mother Counts, a favorite of mine). To receive a 10% discount on these adorable, non-slip headbands, use the code OnTap10 online.
- This month’s Nature Box delivery — We’ve had a NatureBox subscription for a while, but this month’s box is an especially good one. I tried to select items that would appeal to Nick (Spicy Sriracha Popcorn), Grace (Peanut Butter Graham Jam) and me (Guacamole Bites)… but mostly… I’ve been snacking on them all. For 50% off your first delivery, click here (this is a referral link, albeit a tasty one)
- Piles of laundry everywhere — I forgot how many outfits newborns whip through in a day. Yikes.
- A painting here, a drawing there — My current m.o. is “fit in it when you can.” (And try not to make too much of a mess in the process.)
- Plans for the new year — I’m oddly excited for 2016. So much changed in 2015 that I felt more reactive and less intentional. I’m looking forward to being a bit more thoughtfully engaged in the coming twelve months.
- A few holiday treats, including sparkling cranberries and “happy cakes,” as Grace calls them
Also On Tap for Today:
- Visiting my sister 🙂
- 9 Edible Gifts That Everyone Will Love via Food52
- Maybe wrapping presents… maybe sleeping with my eyes open instead
What’s your December currently like?