It’s late September and I just took a blissful outdoor shower (one of my favorite things about our Cape house). I’m telling you that partly so you know I prioritize hygiene, and partly to express what a gorgeous summer day it is in New England… despite it technically being, like, the fourth day of Autumn. Whatever, man.
CURRENTLY | SEPTEMBER 2017
Serious question: How to you make your hands look cool and/or normal in photos?
Per usual, I have started 14 new books… and finished 0 of them. We read so many great children’s books this summer (I need to add to this list), but now that I have a little time to myself while the kids are at preschool, I have loaded up my Kindle with non-picture books. And it feels good. Here’s what I’m reading:
- American Fire: Love, Arson, and Life in a Vanishing Land by Monica Hesse
- Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have to Answer When Your Work in the White House by Alyssa Mastramonaco
- Style Your Mind by Cara Awill Leyba
- And… because I think I am emotionally ready… What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton
Currently listening to
- A whole slew of great podcasts: Pod Save America, Lovett or Leave it, Call Your Girlfriend, Fake The Nation, Style Your Mind, Fat Mascara and LeVar Burton Reads.
- The Daily Mix playlists from Spotify (they nail it every time)
- Grace singing “There’s a Potty in the USA”… because she heard Miley in the car once and now our bathroom has its own anthem.
- For out of state license plates… I printed a 50 states license plate worksheet thing (from a website called Mom’s Mini Van… in case my life status was at all in question, that should clarify things) mid-way through August. So many people vacation on the Cape, I thought it might be fun to keep track of the different license plates we saw. There are plenty of New Hampshires, New Yorks, New Jerseys, Connecticuts, Vermonts, Pennsylvanias, Floridas, and Maines here. And a surprising number of Ohios. I got very into this whole game, like… very quickly. (Note that most of the summer it was just me and the kids down here… so essentially, I was the only one playing.) And I’m not saying I purposely took the wrong exit to catch up to and record an interesting looking license plate…. but I’m not saying I didn’t either. I saw Oklahoma and not only beeped, but frantically waved, and judging by the driver’s look… he was not into it. And then, on Labor Day, as we made our way back to the city, I saw Alaska on Route 6 and lost what very little chill I had left. Nick claims he knows someone who up until recently had Hawaii plates. Likely story. I started a brand new sheet the day after Labor Day, and I’m not bragging, but I have 40 of the 50 states already logged. It helps that the entire country moves to Boston every September to go to college. In their moms’ minivans.
- Nick brought his Netflix membership back from the dead so we could watch Ozark (thanks to Tina + Mal for the recommendation). It’s dark, but not too violent and now I am obsessed with money laundering, so that’s fun. To clarify: I don’t personally launder money, I’ve just developed a hobby/part-time job being suspicious of people who might.
- Also on Netflix, Gaga: Five Foot Two. Liked it a lot. Love her a lot.
- Relieved to be back in a routine. As fun as this summer was, I definitely appreciate (and need) order.
- Itchy, because I saw a spider approaching me 2 hours ago, but I lost track of it… so it’s only safe to assume it’s in my hair, texting its friends to come over.
- Especially grateful. We got a flat tire on our way home from Grace’s dentist appointment this morning and I know it’s such a small thing, but I felt myself getting so frustrated. And embarrassed for being frustrated. I am so lucky to have who and what I do.
- Speaking of embarrassed: Why did I write what amounts to a 10 page, double-spaced essay on license plate hunting?
Also On Tap for Today:
- Where you can donate to help with hurricane and earthquake relief and recovery from Vox
- I always love Sam’s Self Care Bingo — get the fall edition here
- Because lentil soup weather will be here soon (maybe?): 25 Ways to Turn Lentils into Dinner from The Kitchn
What has been the highlight of your month so far?