Current forecast: Soup weather.
Baby Nick and I broke from our usual routine (mid-week shopping at Whole Foods) and hit up Wegman’s on our way home from our first Mama Beast workout of the year. He was very interested in the samples and the train set that is suspended over the hummus area. I was mostly overwhelmed by the crowds and had trouble finding, basically, everything. True Life: I am intensely a creature of habit.
Here’s what we picked up.
- Produce: Baby spinach, 2 seedless cucumbers, 4 apples, 2 lemons, 1 lime, cilantro, flat leaf parsley, 2 sweet potatoes, shredded carrots, normal carrots, riced cauliflower, 3 bell peppers, raspberries, strawberries, bananas, spring mix with herbs, cherry tomatoes, 2 avocados, garlic, yellow onion, red onion
- Frozen: Brown rice, Ezekiel bread + tortillas
- Dairy: Milk for baby Nick, Stonyfield organic yogurt for Nick and Grace, unsweetened vanilla almond milk for me, Chobani yogurt dip, fresh mozzarella
- Grocery: 2 cans of organic black beans, Cheerios for the babes, Erewhon g/f rice cereal for me, dried lentils, apple sauce, almonds, walnuts
- Random: Lemon + dill hummus, 1 salt bagel (see also: shopping while hungry), g/f pretzels for me, pretzel sticks for Grace
- Meat: Grass-fed beef for Nick
And here’s what I plan to make this week…
- Cauliflower rice + beans (made this tonight — super easy and satisfying): sautéed cauliflower with a tsp of olive oil, plus salt + pepper, topped with black beans, sautéed onion + garlic with Cajun spices, cherry tomatoes + cilantro.
- Baked stuffed sweet potatoes (with black beans, simple homemade salsa + guacamole)
- Salads and veggie wraps for lunch
- This delicious lentil soup from Sprouted Kitchen (h/t to my friend Laura for sharing the recipe) – I’ve made it twice in the last week (pictured above) and cannot get enough of it.
- Apple + sharp cheddar quesadillas on sprouted tortillas
Oh, and avocado toast… because I catch on to trends six months late. At the earliest.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Meal plan inspiration from The Kitchen: Our 23 Favorite Vegetarian Recipes of 2016
- How to schedule your day for peak creative performance from Fast Company
- Starting a new painting class (insert red dress dancing lady person emoji thing)
What are you cooking up this week?