February is wrapping up. And no, it’s not a leap year. Consider this a friendly PSA that my birthday is basically moments away (March 1st always seems to sneak up on people). I’m not always so clear on how timezones work, but I think I’m already 35 on the other side of the world. Meanwhile, Grace keeps asking if I’m 45 yet. So there’s that.
But I don’t want to rush February out the door just yet. Despite the country imploding, I’m grateful we had things like my nephew’s baptism, Valentine’s Day, the Patriots winning the Super Bowl, Hillary’s message to the people and 70 degree weather to celebrate. We left our jackets at home and walked on the beach. We spotted the first plants sprouting. Spring is coming.
CURRENTLY | February 2017
- …like summer has already arrived. Tacos, tomatoes, salads and strawberries.
- …dinner with Nick most nights after the kids go to bed (as opposed to snacking from the babes’ plates at 5 o’clock). It’s been such a nice change.
- So we watched like 5 minutes of a PBS special featuring various spy cameras disguised as animals, both because it sounded cool and it was not about the government. The idea is that you get to see animals behaving as if they were not being spied on. Unfortunately we caught the part where the baby monkey spy camera fell, and the real monkeys thought it had died and were, like, mourning. It was devastating. Did I mention that I am generally an emotional basket case?
- Superstore + Homeland (they sort of balance each other out)
- 900 “how to sew” YouTube videos
- Imagine a Forest: Designs and Inspiration for Enchanting Folk Art by Dinara Mirtalipova – I wouldn’t normally consider folk art my jam, but this book has me completely captivated.
- Working my way through the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction longlist
- Mandatory Me Time: How to Make Room for Your Hobbies on the Weekend from Apartment Therapy
- 50 Things We Learned About Feeding Kids in the Past 6 Years from Bon Appetit
- …plans for a meaningful Lenten exercise. In the past I’ve given up Diet Coke, snacking, sugar and swearing (but not all in the same year… I’m neither a saint nor a martyr). Other years, I’ve added more prayer, more intentional acts of kindness and more time away from technology. For me, Lent is the ultimate lesson in patience. In waiting. In remaining hopeful. Perhaps I’ll simply meditate on that lesson. While not drinking a Diet Coke.
- A set of mini, mono-printed art journals. It was a random Tuesday night project, but I am thrilled with the results. I’ll share photos later this week.
- A “good behavior” jar. I am semi-mortified and semi-amazed at how well it’s working. (To clarify: We are rewarding Grace’s good behavior, not mine…)
Currently listening to
- “Call on Me” (Ryan Riback Remix) by Starley — it’s the perfect windows down in February song
- Call Your Girlfriend (podcast)
- This Irish Flute & Tin Whistle playlist on Spotify… baby Nick and I had music class this morning and the teacher broke out his tin whistle (apparently we missed the Irish flute last week). Nick was mesmerized in class and keeps dancing and clapping along to this lively mix. I think it’ll do wonders, too, for those times we are nearrrrrrly home and one or both kids is starting to nod off in the car.
I hope you’re enjoying these last bits of February and looking forward to a lovely March.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Southie (and Boston area) friends: There is a great event coming up this Saturday at Stephi’s. Join Stephanie for her Flower Bar fundraising event to support Boston Medical Center. Tickets can be purchased here and include a floral arrangement and donation. Stephanie is running the Boston Marathon with Team BMC and could use your help as the hospital raises funds for a new, state of the art emergency department. To learn more about BMC or donate directly, click here.
- Creating a Sustainable Daily Creative Habit from Anika, The Handcrafted Story
- Checking off today’s Daily Burn workout during nap time
What was the highlight of your February?