Free summer fun in Boston… Because the only thing better than summer fun, is free summer fun. I think.
Even better, still, would be if this free summer fun came with some sort of plan that enables you to prevent your toddler and preschooler from running in separate directions, at high speeds, at the same time, in public…
Holler at your girl if you have such a plan. In the meantime, there are so many great (and yes, free) events being held in the Boston area this summer. Here are a few that caught my eye.
FREE SUMMER FUN IN BOSTON
June 17 – 22, Boston
All events are free + open to the public (see the link above for full listing). I’m hoping to catch a few sail by’s (is that a thing?) at Castle Island as the ships depart next Thursday, and will definitely be taking the kids to see the ships docked in the Seaport earlier in the week. You can find the list of ships by pier locations here.
Sunday, June 25th from 8 – 11 AM at the Lawn on D, 420 D Street in South Boston (see link above to register, attend one or both classes)
- 8:30 AM: Barre with Jessica Diaz
- 9:20-10:40 AM: Summer Spark + Revive Yoga with Emily Griffin and Sara DiVello
June through October at The Street, 33 Boylston Street (Rt. 9) in Chestnut Hill (see link above for full schedule, and this Eventbrite link to register for events). Highlights include:
- Yoga on the Green on Sunday mornings
- Kids’ events featuring Garden City Growers, The Paint Bar, yoga, Zumba, etc.
- Live acoustic music every Thursday evening
- Kick It by Eliza + Summer Body Blast with Healthworks
(Very cute) side note: That’s Grace playing the street piano at The Street a few weeks ago. We took her to Shake Shack after her end of the year gymnastics performance. A+ idea, if I do say so myself.
Free Fun Fridays | free admission at the area’s best cultural venues, courtesy of the Highland Street Foundation
This great annual program sponsors admission at several different museums and institutions on Fridays throughout the summer. Check the schedule (linked above) for featured venues, June 23rd through August 25th. Highlights include:
- June 23rd: Peabody Essex Museum
- June 30th: Boston Children’s Museum, The Garden at Elm Banks
- July 21st: MFA in Boston, Tanglewood
- August 18th: ICA in Boston, Cape Cod Children’s Museum
- August 25th: Boston Harbor Islands National + State Park
June through September at the Seaport Common, 85 Northern Avenue (see link above for full schedule). The highlights include:
- Monday: Box and Body with Monique at 6 PM, Kick It by Eliza at 7 PM.
- Tuesday: HIIT with Athena at 5:30 PM, Boxing Conditioning with Monique at 6:30 PM.
- Wednesday: Yoga with Jenna at 6 PM, Kick It by Eliza at 7 PM.
- Thursday: Kick It by Eliza at 5:30 PM., HIIT at 6:30 PM.
- Friday: Yoga at 12 PM.
- Every other Wednesday: Free bike tune-ups with Landry’s, 7:30-9:30 AM.
More (free!) fitness in Boston
If you’re looking for additional (free!) fitness classes throughout the city…. from yoga to line dancing and yoga to boxing, Jamie Ducharme at Boston Magazine has a great round-up here: Your Ultimate Guide to Free Fitness in Boston.
There are a number of great events on City Hall Plaza this summer, including the 4th annual Celebration of Summer (yes, a roller disco in honor of Boston native Donna Summer) and the Tito Puente Latin Music Series. See the link above for the full city calendar. You can also find summer reading, programs and resources through the Boston Public Library — each branch has a full calendar this time of year!
I hope you enjoy a really fun, interesting, peaceful, happy + safe summer.
Also On Tap for Today:
- 17 Pie Recipes To Last You All Summer Long from Food52
- If you’re looking for more Boston recommendations (summer or not), you must peruse Molly’s blog, Pop.Bop.Shop — she has the best ideas!
- Packing for a summer on the Cape!
What is on your bucket list for summer?