It’s 9° F (-13° C if you want to be dramatic and/or Canadian) and I am just about ready to hibernate. I usually don’t mind the winter much, but I do mind being trapped inside with every single one of our children’s toys and books strewn about the floor. Our living room looks like failed performance art. Or an especially colorful episode of Hoarders.
Regardless… Lord knows we’re lucky to be safe + warm.
The only person more ready to hibernate than me is my dog. Who is not technically a person. But he kind of is. I’m letting him hide out in the peace of the master bedroom with my other favorite child… the surprisingly alive $10 monstera plant I got at the grocery store this summer.
Here are a few of my hibernation faves.
- TOASTY HOME IMPROVEMENTS (all credit goes to Nick): We live in a renovated three family in Southie and the front of our house is always freeeeezing. This winter, Nick sealed our windows with this insulating kit ($13, one box worked for all three windows) and (this is very geriatric but also very amazing) surprised me with a heated mattress pad for Christmas. I didn’t know these things even existed, but I am glad they do. I use the pre-heat feature 30 minutes before I go to bed + feel like I’ve been touched by an angel (that can be delivered the next day by Amazon Prime…).
- RAW APPLE CIDER VINEGAR SHOTS from Vermont Village: These single serving shots come in 5 varieties and provide the same healthy benefits of regular ACV (including that sort of warming kick I love), but without the harsh taste. Vermont Village sent me all 5 varieties to try, and I am especially enjoying their Cranberries + Honey and Turmeric + Honey shots straight in the morning or mixed with plain seltzer for a little afternoon treat.
- LENTIL SOUP, TORTELLINI SOUP, VEGETARIAN CHILI, LENTIL + LEMON SOUP and KALE/WHITE BEAN SOUP… ’tis the season
- DEDICATED TIME TO SET GOALS + INTENTIONS: This year, I am using an Inkwell Press Daily liveWell Planner (I love that it is bound and lays flat #thelittlethings) and the six-month undated Powersheets Intentional Goal Planner from Cultivate What Matters. Both provide really great space, formatting and prompts for staying focused, accountable and (at least semi-) organized. The liveWell planner serves as a daily planner (appointments/to-dos, etc.), while the PowerSheets planner is more of a workbook.
- MANHUNT UNABOMBER + THE CROWN on Netflix and ON BEING WITH KRISTA TIPPETT (podcast): All are perfect for watching/listening to from the comfort of your preheated bed…
AND A FEW MORE HIBERNATION FAVES (in soothing tones, because I’m guessing I’m not the only one surrounded by Duplos and helicopters and toy dustpans…):
This post contains affiliate links.
Also On Tap for Today:
- And because it’s probably not a great idea to actually hibernate, here’s a great opportunity to get out of the house on Sunday if you’re in the Boston area: Gabby Bernstein’s Judgement Detox book launch on 1/7 at the Strand Theater (click for details, tickets + a preview of the book) — very looking forward to this!
- Putting away the Christmas decorations (bittersweet, but I’ll always welcome a clean slate)
- Working on my 2018 reading list
What are your cold weather or hibernation faves?