I held off on our grocery shopping this week until we had a chance to swing by our neighborhood’s Farmers Market (on West Broadway on Mondays, 12-6PM — click here to find a farmers market in your ‘hood).
Clearly someone was excited to get her hands on a summer tomato.
We ended up checking off quite a few items from our shopping list:
- a pint of grape tomatoes, a head of speckled romaine lettuce, a pint of strawberries and a bunch of asparagus from Freitas Farm
- a bunch of kale and a half dozen or so tomatoes from Wenger Farm in Bellingham
After walking back home and unloading our haul (minus the tomato that Grace ate like an apple on the way home, and the half pint of strawberries we shared as soon as we got in the door), we finished up our shopping at Whole Foods Market in the South End.
- Dairy: organic whole milk yogurt for Grace, shredded mozzarella cheese, pepper jack cheese
- Produce: raspberries, blueberries, English cucumber, green apples, garlic, red onion, bananas, carrots, celery, ginger root, grapes, watermelon
- Staples: quinoa, pearled couscous, canned whole tomatoes, black beans, chickpeas
- Non-vegetarian things for my non-vegetarian husband: two spicy Italian sausages (basically, this is how I buy meat: I go to the butcher’s counter, have a mild panic attack, point to something and say a random number… in this case, two)
- Impulse purchase: Caprese salad from the antipasto bar
After the longest… winter… ever…. during which we ordered more…. pizza… thanweshouldhave… we’ve been making a concerted effort to clean up our meals. Being home and having more flexibility and time to shop, prep and cook has certainly helped, but I think our efforts (and all that sunshine) are definitely paying off. I’ve been sleeping better, have more energy, and look less zombie-ish (I think). I’ve kicked my Diet Coke habit (though I did sneak a few sips at my brother and sister-in-law’s cookout after Sunday’s 5k), have fewer sugar cravings, and generally just feel… less like someone who ate too much pizza.
I recently had the chance to check out the new freshii location that opened in the Back Bay this spring. Freshii generously offered me a gift card for my first visit, and I’ve been back several times (both to the Back Bay and Fort Point locations) since. It’s so nice to have a convenient and affordable place nearby to stop in for a quick, healthy meal or pick-me-up. Their juices and salads, in particular, are really fantastic and I love freshii’s commitment to sustainability and their “Mission Green.”
Oh, and their frozen yogurt? It’s the perfect compliment to all those fruits and vegetables.
Also On Tap for Today:
- 20 Strawberry Recipes to Make Your Summer Even Sweeter via The Kitchn
- How to tell when Clark needs a bath: he suddenly and overwhelmingly smells like Fritos
- Vegan Recipes: Summer Vegetables Take Center Stage via Whole Story (The Whole Foods Market blog)
Where is your favorite place to food shop?