Some weeks I fly by the seat of my yoga pants and things go well workout and meal-wise. But other times, we have a week like last week and the lack of planning nearly does me in. As much as I like to pretend I’m all Type C (is there one of those?), laid back and simultaneously highly motivated… I am not those things. I need a plan.
I’ll be the first to admit I can be tightly wound and yet… given the chance to eat popcorn for dinner while watching three back-to-back episodes of The Great British Bake Off… I will take it. Every, single time. I thrive when my days are orderly and structured (which is sort of a pipe dream when you’re parenting).
I like checking things (including workouts) off my list. And who doesn’t love knowing dinner is made and safely waiting for you in its nice little glass container in the fridge? I find a little planning and prep goes a long way. Even in the summer. When I’m trying to be all cool and casual.
MEAL + WORKOUT PLAN | WEEK OF JULY 17
- Quinoa tabouli from Megan Gilmore’s Everyday Detox cookbook: I made this yesterday and have had it for lunch and two dinners since. It’s such a delicious, easy and nutritious meal.
- Ina Garten’s fresh corn salad
- Caprese salad with avocado: ‘Tis the season.
- Molly’s Herby Spelt Salad: Perfect for putting our little deck garden to use! I have been on such a farro salad kick lately, and am really looking forward to making this for dinner/lunches. Molly has so many great recipes on her blog— well worth a look.
- Chilled Lemon Dill Cucumber Noodles from The Kitchn: I finally joined the 2000’s and bought a handheld Oxo spiralizer and went down a major vegetable noodle rabbit hole. These noodles were a hit last week with baby Nick, so I’m planning to make them again with some farmers market cucumbers and roasted chickpeas for a little extra oomph (or protein, whatev).
- Baked stuffed sweet potatoes with black beans and pico de gallo.
- My super easy gazpacho with avocado toast.
MEAL + SNACK PREP:
- Prepped today: Everyday Detox basil vinaigrette; smoothie for tomorrow morning (hemp milk, frozen pineapple, frozen peaches, raw honey + parsley); cooked farro; kale chips; cooked corn; washed + chopped fruit for breakfasts/snacks
- To prep tomorrow during naps (…God willing): Wash + chop vegetables for salads/snacks; bake sweet potatoes
I have a newfound love for our C2 Rower in the basement at the Cape. I’ve only ever rowed in short spurts during CrossFit classes, but realized this weekend how tough, effective and semi-fun a longer row can be.
- Monday: Stroller run/walk 4 miles
- Tuesday: Stroller run/walk 4 miles
- Wednesday: MB Tabata workout + row 30 minutes
- Thursday: Stroller run/walk 4 miles
- Friday: MB class or rest
- Saturday: Row 30 minutes
- Sunday: Rest
Semi-related: If you’re looking for a new Spotify workout playlist, here are my current jams. Pardon the swear words.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Some great (and summery!) menu ideas from The Kitchn
- Reorganizing our pantry (YOLO.)
- Oh, good… I am part of a micro-generation.
What’s your workout or meal plan for the week?