Happy Halloween from a very reluctant lobster (Clark), a “dancey dancey unicorn” (Grace), and a penguin that more than one person mistook for a pigeon (baby Nick). Oh, and two grown-ups who sort of wish our children came home with a bit more candy. Sort of.
CURRENTLY OCTOBER 2016
October has been a very full, happy month. And not just because I’ve managed to keep my plant friends alive.
- This salad (mixed greens, dried cranberries, sliced pear, walnuts and bleu cheese) over and over
- Stewy chickpeas with tomatoes, capers and feta from Food 52
- Baked oatmeal (in an attempt to give breakfast its proper due)
- Photos from baby Nick’s beautiful baptism day, spent with our parents and siblings. The priest took one look at him in his little white jumper and said “Well, aren’t you a surprise?!” I still don’t really know what that means. But I like saying it to him every now and then. He didn’t make a peep during the sacrament, but did try to splash in the font a bit.
- Grace’s sense of humor. She’s started telling “jokes” lately… which are really just lies. But hey.
- Cold weather tea, especially David’s Tea The Spice is Right
- Progress on the Cape house! We’ve made a few day trips and had our first little family sleepover down there this month now that the basics are set up (beds, wi-fi, snacks). I’m looking forward to lots of summer fun on the Cape, but underestimated how much we’d enjoy the off season as well.
- A commitment to daily painting
- Weekly batches of chai and peanut butter protein bites
- Nature Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of the Natural World by Julia Rothman – This is such an awesome book! It is beautifully illustrated and full of interesting information. Grace and I have been reading a few pages together each day (she is very into bats at the moment). She’s always asking me questions about how things work (tides, sounds, the sun… you know, easy stuff…) and reading books like this has been such a great tool for learning together.
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance – Not a light read, but a very compelling one.
Toodles, October. Hello, November.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Massachusetts friends: All the details for early voting in the Commonwealth
- Last Minute Larry makes a calendar (basically, same story as every month)
- Scheduling flu shots for me and the babes
What were some of your October highlights?