And just like that, May is over and June has arrived. Time flies when you’re having fun. Or attempting to clean out your closets. Or making a fresh start. Or maybe just some fresh juice.
It’s been a week now since I’ve been office-less, business card-less, commute-less and fax machine-less. I hesitate to call myself (or anyone else, for that matter) a “stay at home mom” because, like… we’ve been out of the house quite a bit since I left my job.
It currently feels less like a life change and more like a vacation, but I think we’re all settling into this new way of being quite well. I’m resisting the urge to over-schedule and fill up our days, but I also don’t want us to become weird shut-ins. It’s all a careful balance (I think. Who knows?).
Either way, here’s what I’ve been up to…
Currently | June 2015
- Per usual, I’m late to the party, but I’m nearly finished reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. There are parts that were so funny (made even funnier by the fact that they were intended to be serious) that I cried. Overall, though, I think it’s worth a read.
- When my mom asked for reading recommendations, I came up empty. Because I can’t remember the last non-how-to-clean-your-house-book I read. Not good. Meanwhile, I was attempting to work some life-changing magic on our bookshelves when I came across an unread copy of J. Courtney Sullivan’s The Engagements. I loved her first two books and am excited to get started on this. Magic, indeed!
- Oh, and magazines. They’re like books… for lazy people like me.
- Lots of sunrises… because Grace has taken to getting up at 4:30 AM for the day, regardless of how early or late she has gone to bed. The upside? We suddenly have an extra hour or two to our day (or something). Our pediatrician recommended we check out this toddler alarm clock. At first I thought she was kidding… but she hasn’t steered us wrong yet, so into the Amazon cart it goes!
- Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.” It was playing in the Birmingham airport and I have been blasting it in the car ever since. One of my first tapes was Whitney — I think I need to go Spotify the entire album.
- We’re spoiled with Whole Foods just over the bridge in the South End, and a farmers market just around the corner (which opened for the season today!). I can’t get enough of the early summer produce available — watermelons, berries, corn and tomatoes!
- Lots of “hers and hers” meals. Grace shares my love of snacking and enjoys a bit of variety at lunch and dinner. I saw these adorable stainless steel divided bus plates on Peas and Crayons (thanks, Jenn!) and ordered a set for Grace. They are perfect for plating toddler-sized portions of whatever I happen to be snacking on.
- Time for painting and drawing. The new season of the Get Messy Art Journal program kicked off this week. The theme is Adventure — I think I’m going to have fun with this one. I’m also taking a new online drawing class with Alisa Burke (her classes are the best).
- Progress on my “stuff to do around the house” list (how domestic, I know). I’ve been adding to that list since we moved, but barely but a dent into it until this week. So far, I’ve cleaned out my closet (three bags of clothes went to the Red Cross, and fourth went to ThredUp — we shall see how that goes), hung up our new artwork from Minted, packed up Grace’s 6 and 9 month clothes, cleaned out the super-cluttered, super-dangerous (mandolins! knives!) kitchen utensil drawer, and purged most of our kitchen cabinets. Next on the list: Change our wifi network name to Hillary Clinternet (this is a major priority), recycle every single scrap of paper in the house, find a new rug for the living room, make order out of the chaos that is our bathroom cabinet, and wrangle all those books and toys.
- Like this is going to be a really great summer.
Also On Tap for Today:
- These Watermelon Ice Cubes are a Genius Summer Treat via The Kitchn
- Exotic recipe inspiration from the Healthy Living Blogs community
- Slushies vs. Frozen Underwear (and exercising in the heat) via NYT Well blog
What is on your home “to-do” list?