Shortly after writing up my little Summer Bucket List, I got an incredible invitation from KIND. Did I want to join them for yoga with Mandy Ingber at Fenway Park? A thousand percent yes (it didn’t hurt that I read their email while snacking on a Healthy Grains bar in between meetings). KIND sponsored the 2nd annual FenwaYoga event, which benefitted the Red Sox Foundation’s Red Sox Scholars and RBI Youth Baseball and Softball programs.
I was looking forward to checking off “practice yoga outside” from my bucket list, but never expected to have the chance to roll out my mat on the warning track along the Green Monster.
It was such an awesome experience. Mandy lead a fun but challenging class (made slightly more challenging by the mid-morning sun) from the pitcher’s mound, while yoga teachers from the area provided additional guidance from the outfield. I made fast friends with the woman next to me, as we swapped iPhones to grab photos of one another goofing off inside the park.
The yoga community in Boston was out in full force and everyone, especially the folks from KIND, made me feel so welcome and grateful to be a part of such an incredible day.
I really thought I’d be itching to get back to CrossFit once Grace was born, but lately I’ve been craving yoga even more. I appreciate balance of gentleness and strength that yoga gives me, and love that Grace can squirm around beside me on her activity mat while I practice at the beginning or end of the day. Now that she’s discovered her toes and is holding onto them for dear life, I can’t help but fit in happy baby pose whenever possible.
If you’re looking to take your om outdoors, here are a few ongoing opportunities in the area:
- Yoga on the Greenway with Susanne Sullivan, sponsored by Bodywaves Therapeutic Massage: Every other Saturday through August 9th, 9-10 AM – free and open to the public at North End Park (between Hanover and New Sudbury Streets).
- Island Yoga – Free gentle yoga overlooking the water (ferry ticket required to, well… get to the island) Saturdays in July and August at 10:00 AM on Spectacle Island
- P.O. Fit classes (including yoga) at the Norman B. Leventhal Park in Post Office Square: free and open to the public (classes are currently listed through September)
- Riverfront yoga at Assembly Row in Somerville: free and open to the public on Tuesdays at 6 PM and Saturdays at 9 AM at Baxter Riverfront Park, lead by instructors from O2 Yoga
Also On Tap for Today:
- I think I found my next deck drink: pink watermelon lemonade slushies!
- Loving the summer sketching class I am taking with Alisa Burke (her classes are on sale through the weekend, if you’re looking to up your creative quotient)
- Updating my playlists: Songs for yogis
What sort of workout have you been craving lately?