I had to take a little hiatus from The Weekend According to Instagram, mostly because I avoided Instagram and limited most forms of communicating with strangers online for the past two weeks, so as to not ruin the surprise part of my sister’s surprise shower. (That was a long sentence. I am making up for lost
I bet it was a lot easier to surprise people before electricity was invented.
Somehow, though, we pulled it off. But not without a lot of lying. A lot. Lies and surprises go hand in hand, I am learning. I’ll tell you all about the food (complete with a recipe for roasted sweet potato salad) and decorations later this week, but first I need to come clean.
Lies I told my sister during the past 24-48 hours:
- We are going to surprise you for your bachelorette, but your shower is going to be the last weekend in April.
- I am stressed out (at this point, semi-not a lie, but mostly a lie) and can’t make it to our cousin’s shower (which is where she thought she was going yesterday) so Dad is going to pick you up.
- Someone (I think I specifically said “an idiot”… so I not only lied, but was mean) accidentally posted about your surprise bachelorette on Facebook, so please don’t log into your account. Ever again. (In reality, multiple people posted about my cousin’s actual shower, thus threatening to topple our very delicately built house of lies.)
- I am at my office and I am very stressed out. (I was at my parents’ house, unpacking glitter and cupcakes.)
- And when she texted to say she was on her way to my office to surprise me with tea: I, um… am still stressed out but I just left my office.
- I will talk to you tomorrow (or in an hour, when you arrive at your own shower) and yes, I will download that stress management app you recommended.
I was so relieved when Andrea finally walked through that door. Who needs a stress relief app when you have that smile to look at? She is going to be the most beautiful bride. Being her sister really has been the joy of my life. And that’s no lie.
Also On Tap for Today:
- CrossFit (lots of running tonight!)
- How adorable are these shower-worthy gingerbread cookies?
- Enjoying the sun and warmer weather
What was the last lie you told?