Another weekend, another attempt at unplugging. Save for the
Instagram machine iPhone. Here’s what I was up to.
The weekend, according to Instagram:
- One of our trainers at + dog is fostering a pitbull named Dexter. I had the chance to take class with him (while our old man Frenchie snored in a nearby crate) on Friday night, working on basic obedience. I used to be terrified of big dogs (some little ones, too), but have made a lot of progress in the past year or so. I’ve learned so much about the importance of training, and how our behavior and energy affects our dogs. I love that our trainers offer these opportunities; the foster dogs get additional socialization and we get to hone our skills. It’s also a great exercise for Clark, the spoiled only furchild, to see us handle other dogs. I have a feeling Dexter will be heading home with a new family very soon. He may be bigger than my car, but he’s sweet, stable and really affectionate.
- Nick and I headed to CrossFit Southie on Saturday morning for a partner WOD. Between the two of us, we cranked out 100 kettle bell swings, 100 overhead squats, 100 box jumps, 100 power cleans, and 100 burpees. I laughed, I cried, I said swear words.
- And I burned a solid 819 calories between the warm-up, wod and cool down. I love my Polar FT4.
- I take l-glutamine daily, per my RD’s recommendation, and decided to give fitmixer aminos (which contain l-glutamine and several other amino acids) a try this weekend to mix things up a bit. It’s definitely on the sweet side, but a nice change from plain old powder and water.
- Clark was also in the mood to mix things up a bit this weekend, and took on a new roommate for his already overcrowded bed. The dude loves to drag his toys over for a nap.
- I’ve been on such a lentil kick lately (see: last week’s red lentil and lemon soup). This weekend’s creation looks, welp… sort of repulsive… but tastes incredible. I sauteed half a yellow onion and four cloves of garlic with a little olive oil, salt and pepper while cooking one cup of black lentils. Once the onions and garlic had softened and started to brown, I added two cups of diced roma tomatoes, and the cooked lentils. And now you know what I am eating for lunch all week.
- If you’re nerdy and you know it and you really want to show it, Instagram your new collapsible recycling bin.
- When it comes to garlic and all things spicy, more is more in our condohold.
- Speaking of condos, we’re on the hunt for a new one. While I love our home (especially after all the changes we’ve made), I am excited for what the future holds. Especially if it holds additional storage for my nail polish collection.
- After Saturday’s workout, I promptly showered and put on pajama pants and an ugly, free tee shirt. That’s our uniform for family pig piles on the sofa.
- We’re in the process of ditching cable TV, thanks to Nick’s ingenuity and ability to connect wires to things. If you’ve got a Roku, I’d love any tips or recommendations you might be willing to share.
- I spent some time meal planning and perusing my new gluten free cookbook, a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law.
- A cold Sunday night called for an easy rice noodle, lemon grass and chili oil soup.
- Welp, here’s me and my (life) partner in crime after a tough workout, but before an iced coffee.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Love this: Alex’s top vimeo picks
- Looking forward to above-freezing temperatures this week
- Fun, fringed hearts for Valentine’s Day
What was the highlight of your weekend?