[tweetmeme source=”elizabethev” only_single=false]What could be better than a free entry to the upcoming Allstate Life Insurance Boston 13.1 Marathon® ? How about that, plus the chance to support the Boston Rescue Mission and the work they do to prevent and end homelessness in our city and beyond. At this year’s Allstate Life Insurance Boston 13.1 Marathon®, runners and their friends will have the chance to donate their old shoes. Every pair collected will benefit the Boston Rescue Mission as a result of Allstate’s partnership with Give Your Sole.
For over 100 years, Boston Rescue Mission has provided invaluable services and programs for men and women in need, including:
- Meal programs
- Outpatient counseling
- Day treatment programming
- Overnight shelter
- Residential recovery programs
- Safe Haven program for chronically homeless veterans
- Women’s parole re-entry program
- Spiritual development
- and partnerships with agencies overseas to fight “poverty in all forms”
Those of you who know me beyond this tiny website know that ending homelessness is something I care deeply about. I encourage each of you, whether you’re running or not, to dig into the back of your closet for a pair or two of gently or moderately worn shoes. The BRM’s programs are not simply a quick fix; they have lasting results and are helping to change the lives of so many deserving individuals. In case you need a little added incentive (and the chance to extend summer a bit longer), runners who donate their shoes on race day will receive a free pair of flip-flops to wear home.
Shoe donations will be accepted at the following locations:
- Friday, September 14th (packet pick-up): Friday, Sept 14th at Karhu and Craft North American headquarters (200 Cummings Center 273-D, Beverly MA) from 12 PM – 7 PM
- Saturday, September 15th (packet pick-up): Saturday, Sept 15th at Fast Splits (612 Washington Street Newton, MA) from 10 AM – 6 PM
- Sunday, September 16th (race day): Suffolk Downs, 111 Waldemar Ave, East Boston
***Thanks the event sponsors, I have two race entries to give away. Free on September 16th and ready to crush a half in Boston? Or know someone who is? Leave a comment below. I will announce two random winners on Saturday evening.***
UPDATE: Congratulations Emily and Becki! I will email you with registration details.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Are you ready for some football… recipes?
- Clark hates the rain
- I wonder if this would get me to eat eggs….
What is your go-to running shoe?