While I am happy to be an evolved, hygiene-obsessed, convenience-shopping woman of the 21st century, I can’t seem to get enough of this so-called paleo crunch. Nick started making it a few months ago, and he’s been playing around a bit with the recipe he found at Simple Fitness ever since. I whipped up my own batch this weekend and must say, I am quite pleased with the results.
- 2 cups of raw almonds
- 1/2 cup of raw, unsalted sunflower seeds (shelled)
- 1/2 cup of raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup of hazelnuts (or any other flavorful nut)
- 1/2 cup of chia seeds (I dipped into my GNC stash)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup of almond flour (if you’re patient, all it takes is almonds and a food processor… or you could buy a package in the gluten-free baking section of most markets)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 a cup of honey or agave nectar
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a food processor or knife, chop almonds and hazelnuts to desired size.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract and stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread the mixture on a large jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with a lip, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and stir ingredients carefully.
- Return pan to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until ingredients begin to brown.
- Let your paleo crunch cool before eating. As it sits, the crunch will get… crunchier.
- Store in an airtight container, or in single-serving (approximately 1 cup) bags.
Paleo crunch can be eaten by the handful, as is. That’s the most caveman-like approach. It’s also great as a cereal with almond milk or sprinkled over Greek yogurt. I bet it would also make a great topping for apple crisp, especially if you added a bit more cinnamon.
Oh. I forgot one important last step. Hop on your wooly mammoth and share your paleo crunch with all of your cavemen friends. Good things are meant to be given away.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Meeting with a little dog that needs a foster home
- Cute as pie… literally
- Attention, brunch-mates: homemade nutella 🙂
What have you whipped up lately? Feel free to share a recipe link!