[tweetmeme source=”elizabethev” only_single=false] On Thursday night I played McGyver and put my toolbox (every lady should have one; I have my aunt and uncle to thank for mine) to good use. My buildingmates may not know this, but they have me to thank for emancipating their packages. That sounded weird. Anyway, the concierge’s key broke in the lock when he was opening our package room. I swooped in with my trusty pliers and was able to turn the lock and bust the door open. It was totally badass.
I’ve been trying to play Nancy Drew, but with less success than my one-night stint as McGyver. My dang Wellies have gone missing, swiped right from our front door. And naturally, Mother Nature has just dumped more snow on us. I’m annoyed. Really, really annoyed. It’s not uncommon for people in our building to leave their wet, snowy boots and shoes outside their door. And it is uncommon, I assume, for people’s stuff to be stolen. Lame to the maximum.
I thought about pulling the fire alarm just as the snow started falling around midnight on Friday, to see what everyone was wearing on their feet, but I think there’s laws against that. And I didn’t want my freedom stolen, too. You know, by a prison term.
After consulting my Nancy Drew Handbook, I listed the facts:
- My boots were stolen (and are therefore, not in my closet, car or office).
- The concierge suggested we check surveillance tape from our hallway, but after consulting our condo documents, it would appear leaving boots, umbrella, cats and other things in the hallway is forbidden. So, no matter what… it’s my fault. And that means we couldn’t check the spycam. Bummer!
- I am a sad person.
I’m not quite sure what to do next. I could put my newly acquired locking-picking skills to use and break into every unit in the building to investigate, but something tells me that wouldn’t go over very well. (I am kidding, obvi. I would never do that. Bible.) Nancy Drew probably would have figured this out by now, and ghosts likely would have been involved. With another major storm expected mid-week, I bit the bullet and ordered a new pair on Zappos.
They’re a weird shade of yellow. Thus making them immune to theft, unlike my black ones. I hope. They arrive Monday. In the meantime, I will be walking Clark in my loafers.
Also On Tap for Today:
- Clark and Murphy are in love!
- Cocktail party/fundraiser for affordable housing 🙂
- Making a few more recipes from my new favorite cookbook
Have you solved any mysteries lately? What hidden talents do you possess?